Saturday, August 7, 2010

Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope: Submit your story

Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope: Submit your story: "Your first name, your lost child(ren)'s name(s), and their date(s) of birth and death
Your city/state
Your blog address, if you have one and would like to share it
Up to 5 subject categories (for example, 'stillbirth,' 'early miscarriage,' 'NICU,' 'Pre-eclampsia,') that fit your story.
Your email address, if you are open to having other women contact you with questions or for support"



I am the face of termination for medical reasons.

Jessi

Mom to Willow

July 4th, 2010

Indio, California



termination for medical reasons, stillbirth, spina bifida, 21 weeks, California



My daughter was born on July 4th, 2010. I was 21 weeks pregnant. Her hands were tiny and perfect. Her feet were clubbed but she had perfect little toes. She had died just before delivery.



She was due in November. I had plans. I would have a two year old and a newborn at Thanksgiving.



On June 30th we found out that she had spina bifida, hydrocephalus, club feet. There would be brain damage. She would never walk. She would need shunts, surgeries.



This was not a fatal diagnosis. This was our choice, to let our baby go.



I was induced and her heart was beating the last time the nurse checked her. After she was born, my doctor asked, "Is there a pulse?" There wasn't.